(adapted from this recipe)
- 2 chopped yellow onions
- olive oil for pan & for rubbing chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-4 your choice-red, orange, yellow bell peppers (seeded, chopped bite size)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Franks hot sauce (or dried red pepper flakes)
- 2 tsp salt, plus more for chicken
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 5 chicken breasts
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cook the onions in oil (maybe 1/8 cup) over medium-low heat til translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce (or pepper flakes), & salt. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes & bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.FOR CHICKEN:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Rub the chicken with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 30-35 min, until just cooked. Let cool slightly. Shred or chop chicken, your preference. Add to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
Top with cheese, sour cream & pinch of chopped scallions. Serve with lime tortilla chips or regular chips & a lime wedge.
Even better the next day.